Thursday, October 11, 2007

History for my 4th and 6th grader

I teach my nine and eleven year old from the same history curriculum. This saves me both time and money. I simply require a bit more work from my oldest daughter in terms of research and writing then I do the younger. This year I am trying something brand new. Instead of purchasing a ready made curriculum I created my own using books that I purchased from Amazon. We are studying ancient through the Roman period along this year.

I started with a basic but enjoyable history book. I wanted one that was fun to read as well as informative. So, I chose M.B Synge's History series beginning with On The Shores Of The Great Sea. This book was written in 1903 and is religious in nature. I have to add that I only use this book as a springboard for our study.

After reading Synge's book, I decided to get several supporting books. These good easily be purchased from the library. I split our year into several historical sections that I thought would interest the girls. Thus far we have studied ancient Egypt, and the Phoenicians. We are currently beginning a unit on ancient Greece and will study Greek myths.

No comments: